Some of these are ambitious crossover events, but we'll also be letting the whole 'ambitious crossover event' thing die in 2019.
It's been a big year. A big year with a number of big covers. These are the best covers of the year. Settle in.
16. 'RADIOACTIVE' - BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE (ORIGINALLY BY IMAGINE DRAGONS)
We're kicking of proceedings with a cover that surprised us all. Who knew rthat this would happen? Only in 2018 would Bullet For My Valentine cover Imagine Dragons.
15. 'MY WAY' - ANDY BLACK (ORIGINALLY BY FRANK SINATRA)
The promise of new Andy Black music was such an exciting prospect- but before we get any original music, we got this cover. It's a bit of fun.
14. 'WHO LET THE DOGS OUT' - OUR LAST NIGHT FEAT. BAHA MEN
Let's talk ambitious crossover events for a hot minute. Because crossover events rarely come more more ambitious than this- Our Last Night not only covered the Baha Men classic, but they roped them into appearing too! It's great.
13. 'IDGAF' - PANIC! AT THE DISCO (ORIGINALLY BY DUA LIPA)
It's what we deserved. Sure, it's no 'New Rules', but honestly? IDGAF.
12. 'TEENAGE DIRTBAG' - ALL TIME LOW (ORIGINALLY BY WHEATUS)
All Time Low establishing their Green Room Sessions videos has to be one of the best things to happen in 2018. This cover was, and continues to be a gift.
11. 'PERFECT' - ASKING ALEXANDRIA (ORIGINALLY BY ED SHEERAN)
While we're talking about surprising and unexpected covers, we can't miss this wee gem. Asking Alexandria frontman Danny Worsnop definitely has the pipes to pull off this ballad- but seriously, we could have never predicted this would happen.
10. 'SUMMER GAMES' - LIGHTS (ORIGINALLY BY DRAKE)
Earlier this year Lights covered Drake's 'Scorpion' album- and it was excellent. Sadly, it was removed from streaming services, but a few of the individual tracks remain!
09. 'TO PLANT A SEED' - CRAZYEIGHTYEIGHT (ORIGINALLY BY WE CAME AS ROMANS)
In honour of We Came As Romans' Kyle Pavone, CrazyEightyEight recorded this beautiful cover, and even donated all proceeds and streaming royalties to the Kyle Pavone Foundation.
08. 'THE GREATEST SHOW' - PANIC! AT THE DISCO (ORIGINALLY FROM THE GREATEST SHOWMAN)
After it was revealed that this was originally pitched to Panic! At The Disco to be a Panic! At The Disco song, this cover was never far from our minds. Fortunately, Brendon Urie came through with the goods. (Also, this isn't the last Panic! appearance on this list- they've had a big year).
07. 'KIWI' - ALL TIME LOW (ORIGINALLY BY HARRY STYLES)
It won the public vote, and it's very good (even if we campaigned hard for 'Boys' by Charli XCX).
06. 'NO TEARS LEFT TO CRY' - FALL OUT BOY (ORIGINALLY BY ARIANA GRANDE)
Is there anything better than the soul voice of Patrick Stump crooning an Ariana Grande song? Not really.
05. '9 CRIMES' - TWENTY ONE PILOTS (ORIGINALLY BY DAMIEN RICE)
Twenty One Pilots could have covered anything for their Live Lounge session- but their choice of the Damien Rice classic was such a definitive Pilots choice. Also, it's very very good.
04. 'HEY YA!' - PANIC! AT THE DISCO (ORIGINALLY BY OUTKAST)
It was unexpected. It caught all of us by surprise. There was definitely a risk that this wouldn't be good. But in classic Brendon Urie fashion, it actually is very good.
03. 'HAMMER' - POINT NORTH (ORIGINALLY BY NOTHING,NOWHERE.)
A pop-punk cover of nothing,nowhere.? It shook us to our core. It's brilliant.
02. 'TORN' - NECK DEEP (ORIGINALLY BY NATALIE IMBRUGLIA)
Not the only appearance from the very very good 'Songs That Saved My Life' compilation- but we do really need to talk about how well Neck Deep recreated the original music video.
01. 'SUCH GREAT HEIGHTS' - AS IT IS (ORIGINALLY BY THE POSTAL SERVICE)
Someone had to take the crown- and this year it goes to As It Is. This reimagined cover of The Postal Service's 'Such Great Heights' also appeared on the Hopeless Records 'Songs That Saved My Life' compilation, and it's genuinely brilliant.
As It Is, Panic! At The Disco, Twenty One Pilots, and Lights aren't just a part of this prestigious list of best covers of 2018- they're all winners in the Rock Sound Awards! Pick up your exclusive Rock Sound Awards covers right now from AWARDS.ROCKSOUND.TV